Monday, July 24, 2023

Thunder Mountain West

Hiked: 7/21/2023
Distance: 7.4 miles round trip on trail and cross country
Summit Elevation: 9408'
Elevation Gain: 2060'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 1.6
Round trip time: 4 hours
Recommended water: 80 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free at Thunder Mountain trailhead on Highway 88
Difficulty: Moderate

A day after our hike of the formidable Deadwood, we set our sights on Thunder Mountain West in the Eldorado National Forest. Our hope was to evade the snowy obstacles that had challenged us on Deadwood. The trailhead had a large parking area and only two other vehicles. One was a US Forest Service truck. As we began our ascent, we crossed paths with the forest service crew, who were marking the trees claimed by death to be culled. A fire had swept through the area two years prior, leaving a layer of ash that blanketed the lower part of the trail and stirred up a cloud of dust as we passed. Upon reaching the main ridge, the trees began to thin, making way for towering black volcanic formations. Some of these formations bore names, such as Carson Spur and Two Sentinels. The landscape was a blend of intrigue and awe. Just before the Sentinels, we met our first significant snowfield. We managed to navigate around it by ascending a steep slope and rejoining the trail.


Kirkwood Lake


First snowfield

The trail led us to Glove Rock, another colossal volcanic structure. A critical part of the trail performed a switchback there, crossing a saddle to reach the mountain's southern side. However, another snowfield had claimed the switchback. We found ourselves hiking in a randkluft-like gap between the snowfield and the mountain. The only way to rejoin the trail was to traverse a steep, slippery slope, followed by a scramble up 30 feet of rock. I ventured ahead to confirm the route, discovering later that a less dramatic use trail hugged Glove Rock and rejoined the main trail. I left my pack on the trail above and returned to inform Leisa the trail continued above. She expressed discomfort following my path and suggested that I continue to the summit alone, promising to meet me below. The summit was about a half mile away. With a mix of hesitation and conflicting emotions, I promised to return in 30 minutes and scrambled back up.

Confidence booster!

Second snowfield

Glove Rock


Where the trail emerged after the switchback

Upon crossing to the mountain's southern side, I left my pack behind and began to jog. I could see one last snow patch ahead, but it did not intersect the trail. The summit was a sphere of volcanic rock, unmarked and without a register. The views were striking. Despite Leisa's disappointment, I firmly believe it is better to turn back when in doubt. Each year, I find myself retreating at least once or twice. If not, I am likely not challenging myself enough. The summit is not a necessity; a safe return is. We paused halfway down the ridge to enjoy lunch and the views into Kirkwood.

PS: I had clearly not done my research on Thunder Mountain, discovering after the fact that I had visited Thunder Mountain West, two feet lower than the Peakbagger official Thunder Mountain. OTOH, Google Maps shows the west peak as Thunder. The USFS topo doesn't label either point as Thunder, but the higher elevation breaks the tie. I had followed the trail to the end, blithely passing the higher Thunder Mountain. I now have a reason to return some day.


Thunder Mountain West summit

Silver Lake


Looking back at slightly higher Thunder Mountain and Glove Rock



PPS: We had part of the day left but didn't want to tackle a major project. We drove down Highway 88 to the "Potholes", a popular series of pools carved by a stream and only a mile and half round trip. We sat on the edge of a rock and soaked our tired feet in the brisk water. It was a nice way to wrap up our trip in the Kirkwood area.






No comments:

Post a Comment