Monday, August 15, 2022

Chocolate Peak and Mount Goode

Hiked: 8/12/2022
Distance: 13.6 miles round trip on trail and cross country
Summit Elevation: 11682' (Chocolate), 13085' (Goode)
Elevation Gain: 4924'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 3.9
Round trip time: 10 hours
Recommended water: 164 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free at South Lake
Difficulty: Strenuous

Leisa and I spent a long weekend at Parcher's Resort outside Bishop and planned our first hike from South Lake. Leisa was still recovering from her broken pinky toe, but felt well enough to attempt Chocolate Peak. We took Bishop Pass trail south toward Bull Lake, wandering through lush meadows and forest until we caught our first glimpse of Chocolate. The north slope looked sharp and we took the Ruwau Lake junction to wind around to the south slope. The official trail doesn't go to the summit so I led us off trail where the going looked easy. Our path led us through some minor brush and boulders. Soon enough, we were on the summit with wonderful views of the surrounding lakes and towering 13ers. We found and signed the register in some PVC tubing, but did not find any benchmarks. It was windy on top so we didn't loiter. We returned on a better defined use trail, then caught the Ruwau trail back to the junction with Bishop Pass trail. Four and a half hours was my estimate to make it from there to the top of Mount Goode (SPS #97) and back. We planned a pick up time, then to avoid pushing her foot too far, Leisa headed back.


First look at Chocolate

Picture Puzzle above Ruwau Lake

Chocolate Lakes near the summit of Chocolate Peak

Looking over at Mount Goode


The trail ran past the rest of Long Lake, Spearhead Lake, and Saddlerock Lake. I filled a water bottle from Saddlerock, then left the trail at 11200' to cut between Saddlerock and Bishop Lake. Bishop Creek runs between and I crossed some marshy ground before the creek itself. Now I faced the broad east flank of Mount Goode. The first obstacle was a low set of cliffs and small trees. There were multiple ways through and I dropped my trekking pole anticipating the boulders to come. Next was 400' of steep sand and a second set of trees. I stumbled on a use trail in the sand and followed it. Above the second set of trees was a long basin. Multiple high points were visible along the ridge line and it wasn't easy to tell which was Goode and which was No Goode. I stuck to the use trail and slogged along as it curved up. I expected more boulders, but the slope remained mostly sand and scree as it got steeper. I slid back every third step as Goode drained my energy. When the boulders finally arrived, 400' below the top, it was a relief. I was tired, but the rock was solid, and much more fun to climb. At the summit, I met two young men who had come over from No Goode. We chatted about Goode and the other nearby mountains. They planned to hit Cloudripper the next day via one of the west chutes. I found no register and no benchmarks. The views were among the best. The Inconsolable Range was east. To the south, Agassiz, North Pal, and Mount Sill. North was Chocolate and all the lakes. To the west, the high peaks of Kings Canyon. After resting a while on the summit, I made quick time coming down. I skied the scree down to the tree line and tried to make up time when I got back on trail. My water held out and I got back to South Lake 15 minutes after the pick up time. Leisa thankfully was waiting for me. Saul Goode, man.

Goode on the other side of Saddlerock Lake

Climbing to the second set of trees

East flank

Rocks and sand

Rocks

Young dudes on the summit

Vagabond, Cloudripper, Picture Puzzle, Aperture

Agassiz, North Pal, Thunderbolt, Mount Sill


Kings Canyon


Crossing Bishop Creek



No comments:

Post a Comment