Saturday, August 27, 2022

Delamar Mountain

Hiked: 8/26/2022
Distance: 1.7 miles round trip on trail and cross country
Summit Elevation: 8379'
Elevation Gain: 730'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 0.6
Round trip time: 1 hour
Recommended water: 16 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free on Forest Road 3N14
Difficulty: Easy

The second peak of the day was Delamar Mountain (HPS #51). From Fawnskin, I drove north on Rim of the World Drive to 3N12. The road climbs to the north side of Delamar Mountain and was in good shape. I drove until I reached the intersection with the PCT where there was a large turnout. At the start, I thought I'd explore a fire break going steeply up the side of the mountain, but when I got 100' up decided to side hill back to the PCT. I looked for a clear use trail heading toward Delamar, but didn't find one, so turned uphill and followed some animal trails. I felt like I was wandering all over the mountain until I stumbled into a good use trail that must have met the PCT farther east. It was easy going after that. The summit of Delamar was a 20' pile of boulders. I didn't find a benchmark and didn't find a register. Like Arctic Point, most of the views were blocked by large trees. On the way down, I found a second use trail that was more direct. However, it ended half way down and I took a gully back to the PCT.



Wandering aimlessly

Summit

Limited views

Down the gully


No comments:

Post a Comment