Saturday, January 29, 2022

Orocopia Mountains High Point

Hiked: 1/28/2022
Distance: 5.2 miles round trip on trail and use trail
Summit Elevation: 3815'
Prominence: 2095'
Elevation Gain: 1637'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 1.3
Round trip time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Recommended water: 32 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free on dirt road MC133
Difficulty: Easy

The Orocopia Mountains are south of the I-10 and Joshua Tree. You can get there by taking the Cottonwood exit and going south on dirt road MC133. The trailhead is about 6 miles south. The road was in pretty good shape with one small 4x4 section, a slightly rutted 20' hill. If your vehicle can't make the hill, you can park below it and walk an extra half mile. There was a white van at the trailhead, but no sign of people around. The high point is #86 on the Sierra Club DPS list and it sports over 2k in prominence. The trail starts out as a dirt road and winds southeast as it approaches the mountains. I left the road where I could gain easy access to one of major ridges. Shortly, I spotted a use trail that stuck to the ridges and I was able to follow it all the way to the summit. The summit was not visible early on, and only became obvious as I got close to it. There was quite a bit of up and down on the rolling hills. The entire range was nearly barren of vegetation. Even grass had a hard time making a living in these mountains. The final slope was very steep. As I closed in on the summit, the wind howled. With no shelter, it got cold and I only spent enough time on the summit to take photos and sign the register. The benchmark was intact, and two reference marks were also in good shape. A 4' cairn had been constructed at the summit and there were nice views of the Salton Sea. I didn't take a break until I was well on my way back and out of the wind. Didn't see anyone the whole trip. My next challenge for the day was an attempt on Oasis Peak in southern Joshua Tree, a possible first ascent.








No comments:

Post a Comment