Sunday, March 22, 2020

OC Slot Canyon

Hiked: 3/21/2020
Distance: 1 mile round trip cross country
Summit Elevation: N/A
Elevation Gain: N/A
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): N/A
Round trip time: 1 hour
Recommended water: 0 oz.
Parking/Fees: N/A
Difficulty: Easy

With California under lock down due to the pandemic, I looked for something close to home that would not bring me in contact with people. Hat tip to Robert D. and Austin E. who clued me in on this amazing location in Orange County. It looks more like southern Utah. I was sworn to secrecy about the location so I can't post a map or GPS track. I skirted the top of the slot until I reached a good drop in point, then came back upstream. Because of recent rain, there was a decent flow in the canyon, knee deep in many places with a few small waterfalls. I wore the same canyon shoes last used when my wife and I hiked up to the Subway in Zion. They gave me stability in the flowing water. The slot was about 1/4 mile long and magical.





Drop in to the slot, going upstream







7 comments:

  1. Hiding in broad daylight all this time--way cool find! Be well Teke & best wishes to you & yours during these strange days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloop,

      Good health to you and family. This slot is unusual for these parts. Hope you can find time to get out yet stay away from crowds.

      Delete
    2. give a hint :( oc local for 22yrs

      Delete
  2. Why can’t anyone just enjoy some thing without trying to brag on the Internet? It’s posts like these end up ruining places with hordes of undeserving visitors with their trash and spray paint. Consider removing this please. Silverado Canyon resident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you realize you gave more information about the location in your comment then he did in his whole blog post right lol

      Delete
    2. Agreed. Thanks for the tip ;)

      Delete
    3. Hahah, exactly what I was thinking :(

      Delete