Saturday, March 16, 2019

Wild Things Anza-Borrego v1

For a six week period, I had a trailcam set up by the Blue Spring guzzler in Anza-Borrego. It can be reached from Bighorn Canyon about 8 miles south of highway 78. If you want to visit the area, take highway 78 to Pinyon Wash and drive south on the jeep trail about 2 miles. Take the side trail into Nolina Wash about 2 more miles. High clearance vehicle recommended. You can park anywhere along Nolina Wash and hike up Bighorn Wash or cross into Bighorn Wash from Nolina Wash. Because of the large concentration of bighorn sheep and deer bones, I was hoping to capture a cougar and was delighted to get one. I also got a grey fox and my first ever ringtail. Ringtails are strange animals related to raccoons and can survive with little water. I had no idea they lived in such a desolate part of the desert. I was sort of surprised to NOT get a coyote, deer, or bighorn.











4 comments:

  1. Very Cool! Thanks for sharing. I was in Nolina wash last week and did see cougar tracks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Great! It's a wonderful area. Amazing how many animals thrive in the desert.

      Delete
  2. Actually, setting up remote cameras in the state park is illegal without a permit. Care to share your name? Also posting the directions to a Wildlife drinker only encourages others to also hike there and potentially disturb bighorn sheep and other wildlife that rely on the drinker as a water source. While it is "fun" for you, these animals are trying to survive. Frankly, I'm tired of Wildlife being exploited by weekend Wildlife warriors like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      I try to respond to anyone who takes the time to comment. Reviewing the Anza-Borrego park regulations, I don't see any mention of trail cams. Check it out here (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638) and let me know where it says I need a permit.

      That camera was set up about 30' from a camera set up by the state park. I don't see how either camera "exploited" the animals. They are passive motion activated cameras.

      Guzzlers are sometimes marked on USGS or forest service maps. I found this one on a public forum. I don't think I'm giving away any secrets here. FWIW, I haven't put any cameras out anywhere in the last three years, but there are a lot of people putting cams out in the wilderness.

      Delete