Saturday, March 10, 2018

San Mateo Peak and Peak 3064

Hiked: 3/10/2018
Distance: 4.7 miles round trip on trail
Summit Elevation: 3591' (San Mateo), 3064' (Peak 3064)
Elevation Gain: 1164'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 0.93
Round trip time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Recommended water: 24 oz.
Parking/Fees: Adventure Pass at Morgan Trailhead
Difficulty: Easy

This was my second trip to San Mateo Peak. It is on the Sierra Club Lower Peaks list and even though it is short, it is one my favorites in the Santa Ana range. It has great scenery and boulder options along the trail. The first time I did this hike, I started from a closed turnout on South Main Divide Road. This time, I started from the standard Morgan Trailhead. I was not sure an adventure pass was required, but I always display it when in doubt. Not far down the trail, a use trail branches hard left (about 120 degrees). It is a connector to the San Mateo Peak trail. A sign near the start of the connector trail suggests a 5.5 mile round trip loop to the Rancho Capistrano subdivision.

The use trail was green from recent rain and more rain was on the way. It followed Lion Spring until it intersected San Mateo Peak Trail. I poked around in the spring and off trail for awhile assessing possible future trailcam locations. One part of the connector trail was covered with dead trees, but it was easy to bypass. A sign at the junction pointed toward the peak and the first of two plastic dinosaurs was mounted in the same area. At the top of the first hill, I took a side trail to Peak 3064 where a worn flag hung from a pole. The summit of 3064 is a little beyond the flag. I got back on the main trail and made it to the summit quickly. Views east were gratifying with layers of low clouds threatening rain. I signed the register and started back as soon as I felt the first few rain drops. On the way back, I wanted to stop at an intermediate peak with a cluster of boulders but the rain encouraged me to continue down. The rain was light but I was pretty wet by the time I got back to the truck. Fortunately, I had a dry shirt and other shoes to make the drive back comfortable.






First dino and a basketball that was not there last time


Summit of Peak 3064


San Mateo Peak from Peak 3064








See Also:
San Mateo Peak Loop

No comments:

Post a Comment