Distance: 7.8 miles round trip on trail
Summit Elevation: 10064' (San Antonio), 9538' (Harwood)
Elevation Gain: 4120'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 3.3
Round trip time: 5 hours 40 minutes
Recommended water: 120 oz.
Parking/Fees: Adventure Pass at Manker Flat trailhead
Difficulty: Strenuous
This was my seventh summit of Mount San Antonio (Baldy), and fifth different route. I had been up Register Ridge once in 2013, but stopped at Harwood, then looped back over Thunder. This time, I continued up to San Antonio from Harwood and descended the Ski Hut trail (aka the Baldy Bowl trail). The Register Ridge trail is unofficial and unmaintained, following the ridge directly below Harwood. It started on the right just around a bend from the register stand. The trail was in much better shape than I remembered. It looked maintained, but I had forgotten how steep and loose it was in places. When I intersected the Devils Backbone trail, I continued up the use trail to Harwood. Like my last time on Harwood, I found no register or marks. Even though it's a minor bump on the ridge, I appreciated the packed gravel look. I dropped off the north side of Harwood, then up the heavily braided backbone trail to Mount San Antonio.
There were a few people on the summit, but it wasn't as busy as a weekend. I rested for 15 minutes and enjoyed a store bought sandwich. I descended on the Ski Hut trail. It also seemed improved with more signs to help navigate the braiding near the stop. The official trail went down a boulder outcrop that seemed new to me. It's possible I always followed other use trails near the top. A steady flow of water ran in a creek below the Ski Hut. I felt a little better about my performance seeing a group of twenty-somethings crashed out and asleep on the tables there. The rest went quickly. It was a fine calf-burning trainer in nice weather.


















No comments:
Post a Comment