Saturday, April 20, 2024

Palo Verde Peak (attempt)

Hiked: 4/18/2024
Distance: 4.7 miles round trip on dirt road and cross country
Summit Elevation: 1760'
Elevation Gain: 1050'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 0.8
Round trip time: 4 hours
Recommended water: 64 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free on Old Palo Verde Road
Difficulty: Moderate (route finding, exposure)

Day one of an overnight in the Eastern Mojave centered in the Blythe area. My original day one goal was Stepladder, a 12-miler, but at the last minute I decided it would take too long in blistering afternoon heat. Looking for a shorter climb in the area, I stumbled on Palo Verde Peak. It wasn't on any list, but several well known hikers wrote glowing reviews. Access to the peak is on Old Palo Verde Road (or a much longer route from Highway 78). The road had big rocks, loose sand and gravel. 4x4 recommended. I drove in from the north side, stopping about a mile from the closest point due to boulders. As I approached the west side of Palo Verde, it looked technical. The reports I read talked about a gully scramble and a knife-edge section near the top. The main gully from the west ended at a cliff wall. Half way up, I stepped directly over a juvenile rattlesnake. Rattling started only after I walked over it. It's possible we surprised each other. In any case, I was lucky I didn't step directly on it. It coiled defensively and hid under a bush. The rest of the way, I was hyper-focused on the ground and where I put my hands. The upper gully was a loose mess of talus and gravel. Even large rocks gave way. I carefully exited the gully, then traversed left to reach a jagged saddle. I found a class 3 chute to drop in 40' below the saddle, making sure I could reverse the move. I couldn't initially see the continuation on the other side, but followed a couple of cairns to discover a ledge system. The next obstacle was a class 5 spine that could be bypassed by hugging the right side below the spine, then up a steep gully. Finally, I sat above a knife-edge strip of ridge with the summit just beyond. When facing a risky section, your mind automatically does the calculus. Skill, difficulty, holds, quality of rock, consequences, being solo. My mind ran the calculation several times, after factoring in the awful rock, I came up with a 97% chance of success. However, the consequences were high: a 40' fall on the left side, and a 400' fall on the right. I could clearly see how to proceed, but I didn't. I knew no one cared whether I climbed this peak of not. What mattered was balancing the risk with how much I cared. Not enough. I waved goodbye to the summit and started the slow backtrack and descent. My snake friend was not where I left her which was good news for both of us. When I got back to the road, I ambled back to the truck with temps inching toward 90F. The next day, I thought about how much mental energy I spent route finding, the close encounter with the rattlesnake, solving the gully crossing, the hidden continuation, and the spine bypass. If I went back, my only mental hurdle would be the knife-edge, probably increasing my odds to 99%. Maybe if I'm back in the area. Maybe.

Palo Verde from the north



Stepped directly over this speckled, look how well the coloration matches the rocks


Crappy, loose rock near the top of this gully

Found a class 3 chute to reach the other side of the notch

Looking back at the gully crossing

Bypass on the right side hugging the wall

The knife-edge, but this shot doesn't show the narrow beginning

Summit in view on the other side



No comments:

Post a Comment