Sunday, October 27, 2013

Elsinore Peak

Hiked: 10/27/2013
Distance: Drive up
Summit Elevation: 3575'
Prominence: 435'
Elevation Gain: 0'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 0.00
Round trip time: N/A
Recommended water: N/A
Parking/Fees: Adventure Pass
Difficulty: Easy

Elsinore Peak is one of the two named Santa Ana peaks I was aware of but had not visited. The other being Horsethief Peak. When my exploration of Upper Hot Springs Canyon didn't go as far as I expected, I made a short side trip to tag Elsinore Peak. It overlooks Lake Elsinore, and despite being cluttered with communication towers, offer nice views east of San Jacinto and San Gorgonio. I drove up South Main Divide Road, then continued on the dirt road to the peak, stopping at a turn out less than a quarter mile from the summit. At the top, I found two reference marks pointing to the triangulation high point, but could not find a benchmark at the actual summit. I took a couple of panoramas that didn't turn out because I didn't keep the phone steady, then headed back to the car. Even the still shot of the benchmark was blurry, another operator error.


Elsinore Peak adorned with comm towers


One of two reference benchmarks I found, but no summit benchmark


San Gorgonio from Elsinore Peak

No comments:

Post a Comment