Friday, November 17, 2017

Where the Wild Things Are v1

Hiked: 11/17/2017
Distance: 8.4 miles round trip on trail and cross country
Summit Elevation: 1538' (at trailhead)
Elevation Gain: 1415'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 1.13
Round trip time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Recommended water: 48 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free at Fisherman's Camp Trailhead
Difficulty: Moderate

Let the wild rumpus start!
-- Maurice Sendak

I am often inspired by animal photos from the trail cameras of rangers and other outdoor enthusiasts. As a natural extension of exploration, I deployed a Bushnell 20MP Trophy Cam HD Low Glow back in October. I placed it off trail in an area I expected to get some animal traffic. The camera was configured in hybrid mode to capture both photos and video. Daytime photos are shot in color, while the red light flash at night produces black and white. As a first effort, I wasn't sure if the experiment would produce anything interesting. After a month or so, I collected the SD card and starting looking over the photos and videos. The first thing I learned was that tall grass blowing in the wind triggered the motion activated camera. There were almost 900 photos and videos recorded and most of them were of tall grass blowing in the wind. The camera was also triggered by large flying insects at night. It did capture a single animal:



I plan to move it to different locations periodically and hope to capture more wildlife.

See Also:
Where the Wild Things Are v2
Wild Things v4

No comments:

Post a Comment