Saturday, October 15, 2016

Garnet Mountain

Hiked: 10/14/2016
Distance: 1 mile round trip on trail and cross country
Summit Elevation: 5680'
Elevation Gain: 200'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 0.16
Round trip time: 25 minutes
Recommended water: 0 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free on Sunrise Highway (S1)
Difficulty: Easy

Just up the road from Garnet Peak, and just off the road is Garnet Mountain (#14). I am puzzled by it being on the San Diego list since there are several more interesting bumps along Sunrise Highway. I parked at a turnaround by a PCT crossing. I made the mistake of starting up the PCT, when the closest approach is an unsigned dirt road starting at a dented gate. It was obvious soon enough that I was going the wrong way, and I returned to the start to take the road. It was less than a half mile to the saddle, then some light bushwhacking to the summit. Standard red cans held the overflowing registers. I was even more mystified by this peak selection since the summit views were not as good as Garnet Peak. It was 25 minutes car to car, even counting my starting mistake. Not much to say about this one.


Correct starting gate, Garnet Mountain is the bump on the left


Start of the short bushwhack


Summit and register cans


Looking down at the 4Runner and up to Garnet Peak

No comments:

Post a Comment