Saturday, February 1, 2014

Moulton Peak

Hiked: 2/1/2014
Distance: 0.9 miles round trip on trail and road
Summit Elevation: 887'
Prominence: 317'
Elevation Gain: 292'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 0.23
Round trip time: 20 minutes
Recommended water: 0 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free on Sprucewood
Difficulty: Easy

I continued sweeping up the small, trivial peaks around Orange County listed in Peakbagger. Moulton Peak was only a couple of miles from my house and made for a nice morning wake up cruise. A dirt trail leaves from the top of Canyon View Park, winds around two water towers, then you're done. There is a nice view into Wood Canyon, and I found a wooden cross at the north end with the initials JKL and a mountain biker helmet. A web search didn't turn up any info on who it was. This must be a popular destination for local bikers as I counted six in my 20 minute trip, but no other hikers. There was a biker who started up the trail just ahead of me and I passed him about half way up. A nice bonus. Out of my way, slow poke!


Saddleback over the top of a water tower on Moulton Peak


Comm tower on Moulton Peak


Memorial to an unknown mountain biker on Moulton Peak overlooking Aliso Viejo

No comments:

Post a Comment