Saturday, February 15, 2020

The Thimble from Cherry Canyon

Hiked: 2/14/2020
Distance: 2.5 miles round trip cross country
Summit Elevation: 5779'
Elevation Gain: 1555'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 1.2
Round trip time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Recommended water: 48 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free on Cherry Canyon Road
Difficulty: Moderate

The Thimble was my first bona fide class 3 ascent back in 2013. On that trip, I started on S22 and picked up Bonny, White Benchmark, and San Ysidro as well. This time, I started from Cherry Canyon Road, about a mile east of the Thimble. I learned about this starting point from a Greg Gerlach trip report. To get there, take the dirt road Via Oak Grove from S22, turn left at the end, then right on Lease road, then right again on the public road that heads into Cherry Canyon and BLM land. Cherry Canyon Road is not signed. This is a much closer starting point for the Thimble and San Ysidro. I had placed a trailcam at a nearby location so I only had a few hours or I might have extended the trip to Hob Benchmark.

You can hike the dirt road all the way to the base of the Thimble, but I went directly cross country over peak 5296. Although the open country was not difficult, I'm not sure it was worth it compared to the road. It took about an hour to reach the base on the east side where I found a faint use trail. The use trail faded about half way up where class 2 scrambling took over. I worked in some extra class 3 as I made my way to the southeast side for the main ascent gully.


Start, Thimble not visible


Up a gully toward Peak 5296


The Thimble from the east


Crossing the fence into state park land


Looking over at White benchmark

The traditional ascent gully is behind a large tree where further progress requires class 3. On my first trip, I went up a chimney left of the main gully that required stemming to reach the top. This time, I climbed the main gully to the point where you need to move left onto a boulder. The move was straight forward, but I climbed down to see if there were other ways up. About 20' right of the gully, I found a 15' crack, still class 3 that connected to a slab and led to the summit. I thought this was the easiest of the three possible routes in the area. The summit had a new register that was placed on February 1 by Greg Gerlach (who else?). I signed in and enjoyed a 15 minute stay on the summit. I descended the same way I came up. I really love scrambling around on this mountain and doubt it will be my last visit. The GPS track is not accurate, just my best guess since I left my GPS in the truck.


Main ascent gully, continue left or right of tree


Better route, 15' crack below the small plant








San Ysidro from the Thimble


Looking toward Borrego Springs 5000' below






Descending the new route





No comments:

Post a Comment