Saturday, January 27, 2018

Wee BM

Hiked: 1/19/2018
Distance: 1.7 miles round trip on trail and cross country
Summit Elevation: 4068'
Elevation Gain: 746'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 0.59
Round trip time: 1 hour
Recommended water: 16 oz.
Parking/Fees: Free at Culp Valley turnout
Difficulty: Easy

Wee Benchmark was a bonus hike on the way back from Travelers. It had been on my bonus list for a while, waiting to be bagged the next time I drove by it. I had energy left after Travelers so I pulled over off S22 when I got to the Culp Valley Campground dirt road. I knew there was a trail that went just below the summit but it wasn't near where I parked. I started off cross country looking for animal trails and weaving around light brush. I found a memorial rock for "Papster" not far from the turnout, probably where someone buried a pet. About half way up, I found the trail and followed it just below the summit. The top was less than 100' off trail with only loose dirt to slow me down. It was windy on top. After locating the benchmark and register, I carefully signed it making sure nothing blew away. The Thimble barely poked out behind an intervening hill, but San Ysidro Mountain was clear in the distance. I wandered down out of the wind and made it quickly to the truck. It was an unusually prolific January for me. My schedule next month is less accommodating, meaning I'll probably be limited to one or two outings.


Wee BM from the turnout


Ode to Papster




Benchmark




San Ysidro Mountains


Truck from Wee BM

No comments:

Post a Comment