Saturday, September 1, 2012

Mount San Antonio (Baldy)

Hiked: 8/3/2012 (x2)
Route 2
Distance: 8 miles round trip on road, trail, and use trail
Summit Elevation: 10064'
Prominence: 6224'
Elevation Gain: 3900'
Elevation Gain (in Empire State Buildings): 3.12
Round trip time: 4 hours 20 minutes
Recommended water: 96 oz.
Parking/Fees: Adventure Pass
Difficulty: Strenuous

The highest peak in the San Gabriel mountains and Los Angeles County is Mount San Antonio, also known as Mount Baldy. This is a steep climb, especially the second half on the south ridge. The trail spiders into many confusing use trails near the summit. My first trip up left my calves burning for three days.

Update: 11/17/2013
Looking back at my very first trip report, I realize it doesn't have much information. This was before I had a GPS so I can't show the track or elevation profile. The statistics came from the Trails of the Angeles hiking book. There are some videos in the "Would you like to know more..." link at the bottom that might be useful. I plan to create a new, more useful trip report on my next visit.


The Baldy Bowl


Looking down the east ridge of the Bowl


Devils Backbone Trail sign on the summit


Summit plaque

Would you like to know more...?

No comments:

Post a Comment